Maribel V Villanova
Interview by MacPherson Arts & Crafts
1. Where are you from and where do you live now?
I,m from Spain and I live in Valencia(spain)
2. Have you always been interested in dolls?
Yes, I always has been interested in dolls, I still have some dolls from my childhood.
3. When did you first become interested in sculpting?
I discovered the ooak baby dolls and I was fascinated, that´s when I decided to try to sculpt my own dolls.
4. How did you first encounter reborn dolls?
There was some companies that contacted me to make my sculptures in kit form.
5. Have you sculpted dolls from the time you started sculpting, or did you start off with something else?
Yes, I sculpted dolls from the beginning.
6. How long have you been sculpting?
I´ve been sculpting for almost 20 years.
7. What medium do you use to sculpt your babies with?
I use super sculpted to sculpt my dolls.
8. What inspires & motivates you to sculpt?
I love newborn babies and this sweet faces and tenderness, this inspires me to sculpt.
9. Do you sculpt full time & do you have other hobbies?
I sculpt full time, this is my hobby and I love them.
10. Do you only sculpt for kit production or do you do custom ~ portrait orders too?
I sculpt and produce my own silicone dolls now, I don´t make portrait dolls.
11. When did your first kit come out and what was the baby's name?
I don´t remember exactly the year my first kit came out, but it was many years ago, it was called Anne.
12. How many kits have you produced to date?
I have produced 14 kids to date and I make 4 babies for Ashton Drake and 3 babies for Masterpiece
13. Do you have a list of names of all of your kits you have produced as we would love to have an archive directory for your sculpts?
Yes this is the list of names of my kits
14. Which baby of yours has been your all time favorite and why?
I think Bella , Bella´s sculpture won an award in Germany and it was very exciting for me.
15. Do you plan to continue sculpting babies for kits?
Maybe in the future, I don´t rule it.
16. How do you feel about the reborn doll industry? What excites you and what upsets you?
I think reborn doll market now has a great variety of very good sculptors.
The most exciting thing for a sculptor is to see how each person makes a different version of your sculpture, how they create their own art in a vinyl kit.
I´m not happy to be called reborn to all types of dolls, I think there are several categories of dolls, reborn dolls, silicone dolls, ooak dolls, collection dolls, not all dolls are reborns.
17. How do you feel about the progression of the art of reborning over the past 10 years?
I think it has been changing to better, new techniques to make the most realistic reborns if possible.
18. Do you think that this industry has a long term future or do you think its just a fad that will blow over?
I think that people like reborns because of their realism more than other types of dolls, like collection dolls, that years ago was the most. Therefore I think that it has a lot of future ahead.
19.What are your plans and hopes for the future?
I hope to continue creating and improving my sculptures. Sculpting is my passion, I don´t see myself doing anything else.
20. Do you have something new in the works?
Yes, I always have some super sculpey in my hands, and new projects in my mind.