MacPherson Arts & Crafts
1. Where are you from and where do you live now? I was born in a small town in Texas & live in Lubbock, Texas now.
2. Have you always been interested in dolls? Yes! Growing up my grandmother was a porcelain doll maker. I thought they were so beautiful and I was in awe that she made them herself! I have several of her creations to this day.
3. When did you first become interested in sculpting? Very recently. I wasn’t even sure if I would be able to do it, but figured I wouldn’t know unless I tried! I was instantly obsessed!
4. How did you first encounter reborn dolls? My daughter found them on YouTube and fell in love with them immediately. She has loved babies and dolls since she was a baby herself. I did my research on how to create one for her and the rest is history!
5. Have you sculpted dolls from the time you started sculpting, or did you start off with something else? I have been reborning other artist kits since 2019. I paint and pour silicone as well.
6. How long have you been sculpting? 2 months.
7. What medium do you use to sculpt your babies with? Super Sculpy polymer clay.
8. What inspires & motivates you to sculpt? So far I have sculpted my son and daughter. Seeing them as tiny babies again has been so fun! I think I will love doing portrait babies.
9. Do you sculpt full time & do you have other hobbies? I split my time equally with sculpting and reborning vinyl and silicone.
10. Do you only sculpt for kit production or do you do custom ~ portrait orders too? For production.
11. When did your first kit come out and what was the baby's name? My first kit will be released late 2021 and his name is Carter.
12. How many kits have you produced to date? This will be my first!
13. Do you have a list of names of all of your kits you have produced as we would love to have an archive directory for your sculpts?
14. Which baby of yours has been your all time favorite and why? I think my Carter will always have a special place in my heart!
15. Do you plan to continue sculpting babies for kits? Yes!
16. How do you feel about the reborn doll industry? What excites you and what upsets you? I am so humbled by the willingness for others to help teach me or and offer advice. I try to do the same for those that need it as well. It makes for some amazing peers and friendships. We don’t see each other as competition and that is how it should be! I’m frustrated by stolen kits and scammers.
17. How do you feel about the progression of the art of reborning over the past 10 years? My motto is to never stop learning! Always try something new. Never rush yourself or take shortcuts, it shows in your work. I’ve gotten pretty far in my short time in the business and believe it’s because of those mottos I follow! And of coarse the amazing support of my peers!
18. Do you think that this industry has a long term future or do you think its just a fad that will blow over? Long term for sure! I think it’s slowly becoming more acceptable/normal to collect them and not “creepy” as some see it.
19.What are your plans and hopes for the future? I hope to keep producing kits and prototyping other artist kits!
20. Do you have something new in the works? I do! I’m currently working on my second sculpt “Claire” a smiley portrait of my daughter. :)